[Pmwiki-users] mail blacklisted again

Neil Herber nospam
Thu Jan 20 23:48:47 CST 2005

At 2005-01-20  10:20 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>For anyone who happens to get this -- unfortunately it looks as though
>the web hosting provider that hosts the pmichaud.com mailing lists
>has once again managed to become blacklisted by spamcop.net.

Patrick

I am a big fan of SpamCop and I used to use their RBLDNS on my mail server.
BUT, they do warn users as follows:

>The SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL) is aggressive and often errs on the side
>of blocking mail. When implementing the SCBL, provide users with the
>information about how the SCBL and your mail system filter their email.
>Ideally, they should have a choice of filtering options. Many mailservers
>operate with blacklists in a "tag only" mode, which is preferable in many
>situations.

I had to remove the SpamCop RBLDNS from my server because it was blocking
mail from my clients. I don't think you can fault your service provider on
this one, because it is the receiving mail servers that are rejecting the
mail based on the SpamCop listing. Those listings get created by humans
reporting what they think is spam, and sometimes they are wrong or malicious.

On the other hand, if your provider also hosts spammers, then it might be a
good time to bail.

The cheapest provider I have run across is Canaca.com  (or Canaca.ca), but
I don't know what their support of PHP is like. They have an Ensim control
panel and it lists MySQL in the demo and they have a bunch of PHP "power
tools".

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/