[Pmwiki-users] UrlApprovals

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 10 09:30:15 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 02:25:00AM +1100, KevinTiller wrote:
> Do UrlApprovals work on pmwiki v1 ?

Alas, no.  In fact, one of the driving forces to building v2 was that
I didn't see a good way to incorporate UrlApprovals into the v1
codebase.

> I got hit by the "bob" program and would like to be better prepared next time.
> I am not sure that just blocking ip ranges will work (could come from a
> different range next time)

Blocking ip ranges does seem to be a stopgap solution, but then again,
all of the anti-vandalism measures short of password protection are
stopgap solutions.  It's just a matter of finding the right combo.

BTW, I'll note that since I implemented the "no more than N unapproved links
in a post" on pmwiki.org the spam has been drastically reduced (basically
only one or two very minor attacks in the past three weeks).  :-)

> Also, is there an easy way to edit his crap out of the page history other
> than careful editing via a text editor ?

You can use expirediff (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook-V1/ExpireDiff)
to eliminate the history altogether.  Removing parts of the page history
from the file may prevent restore from working properly if the chain
of diffs doesn't exactly match.  The better approach may be for us to
provide some programmatic support for eliminating parts of the history,
or even just a way to flag that certain parts of the history should
never be displayed (even though they may remain in the file).