[Pmwiki-users] $Name versus $Title

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 5 12:14:40 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:45:57PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> I edited the page to include my examples - feel free to chuck them.
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex
>
> It looks like {$Author} and {$LastModifiedBy} do the same thing. Should
> they??

{$Author} is the name of the person currently interacting with the site;
{$LastModifiedBy} is the person who last modified the page.  (Yes, I
know that {$Author} in this sense is confusing -- it's part of my ongoing
crusade against overuse of the term "user".  But I may do something
slightly different when I have user authorization in place.)

> Also, the {$Title}  markup works on the PmWiki site, but not on mine, even
> though they both claim to be beta 14.

Based on your previous email, {$Title} was fixed earlier today and will
show up in beta15 (hopefully later today).

pmwiki.org is sometimes running software newer than the latest released
version, but the new version number isn't generated until a release is
actually made.  The same is true for the CVS repository.  (This is so that
people don't prematurely see "beta 15" on pmwiki.org and start asking why
that release is missing from the downloads...)