[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Tue Feb 1 10:19:10 CST 2005

At 2005-02-01  10:51 AM -0500, Gautam H. Thaker is rumored to have said:
>Typing either file:/path or file:///path in the mozilla "destination
>field" works and these files get loaded. However, if I have the following
>entries in a .html file which the browswer is viewing *NONE* of the
>entries can be used to follow to the file.

This is some kind of weird browser behavior. I tried the following in
Firefox on WinXPpro:

* file on drive X called changes.txt
* drag-and-drop file onto open browser window and it opens, with
file:///X:/changes.txt in the destination window
* type file:///X:/changes.txt into destination window and file opens
* create file test.html containing one line only:
* drag-and-drop test.html onto open browser window and test.html opens
* click on link and changes.txt opens
* put file:///X:/changes.txt on local PmWiki page and it creates a link
* click on the PmWiki page link and the browser does nothing!!

The rule seems to be:
         if I am on a web page, do not open local files
         elseif I have opened a local file, do open other local files
linked from it

This also shows up if you drag and drop a folder onto an open browser
window. Firefox displays a directory listing that is fully clickable.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668