[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Gautam H. Thaker gthaker at atl.lmco.com
Tue Feb 1 09:51:26 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:16:14AM -0500, Gautam H. Thaker wrote:
>
>>>If you can get
>>>me examples of file:- urls that work (and don't work) in each
>>>browser, I'll prototype some code for you to do this.
>>
>>OK, on mozilla 1.7.3 on RH Linux (EL3), the following entries in the
>>"destination" properly find a file.
>>    file:/home/gthaker/file
>>and
>>    file:///home/gthaker/file
>>
>>FOr us it would be really neat to be able to encode file URLs in wiki.
>

> Okay, so why not just use those?  I.e., what doesn't work if you
> do "file:/home/gthaker/file" or "file:///home/gthaker/file" in a
> wiki page?

Typing either file:/path or file:///path in the mozilla "destination field"
works and these files get loaded. However, if I have the following entries in a
.html file which the browswer is viewing *NONE* of the entries can be used to
follow to the file.

So, bottom line, as you have said, typing a file: url in browser "destination
field" is very diff. from getting the "file:" to work from a HTML page. And I
have been unable to get browswer to reach a file:  I tried in my index.html file:

<hr>
Other attempts, directly put the string in (Not expected to work?)
file:/home/gthaker/public_html/usage
file://home/gthaker/public_html/usage
file:///home/gthaker/public_html/usage

and none of these work. Is this due to httpd file acess restrictions issue? I am
trying to reach a file in the same directory from which the httpd is serving my
index.html page.

thanks.

Gautam