[pmwiki-users] [O-T] Re: Re: Request for changing the default upload policy

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 29 04:42:05 CST 2005

On 12/28/05, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, H. Fox wrote:
>
> >    COPYING.txt(*)
> >    INSTALL.txt(*)
> >    README.txt(*)
>
> > (*)  The .txt extension definitely should be included for README(.txt)
> > and INSTALL(.txt) files.  I'd change COPYING to LICENSE.txt, too,
> > although that's less important.
>
> Personally I don't like '.txt', it looks ... wrong somehow. Anyway, it's
> hardly important.
>
> cheers
> /Christian
>
> PS. I can see that it might make things easier for Windows users who use
> the file extension to control what type a file is.

Exactly.

To some (ironically not including myself) the extension is important.
That's why I think it's helpful to include the extension.  Some users
don't even see extensions -- they'll only see the icon that indicates
it's a text file.  Double-click and it opens in the default text
editor.

Omitting ".txt" erects an admittedly small barrier, but why have a
barrier at all?

On 12/28/05, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could for instance 'README', 'COPYING' and 'INSTALL' be merged into one
> file that simply refers to a suitable wiki page? (It'd probably have to be
> one per each new release).

For certain the GNU GPL license text should stand alone in its own file.

Hagan