[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 16:12:18 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:56:51PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> ons 2005-12-14 klockan 14:41 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:
> > *  All blog entries are normal wiki pages, with normal page names.
> >
> > *  The edit form has a "post blog article" checkbox or button, which
> >    causes the current entry to be added to the beginning of a
> >    "blog trail", much the same way that pages are automatically
> >    added to RecentChanges pages.  (It may in fact turn out to be
> >    the same code that handles both.)
>
> Well... one aspect is missing - *extreme* ease of use. There needs to be
> predefined ways of adding blog archives, and a very easy to use "Post"
> page, where you *don't* have to give a page name.
> We really need a process that looks like:
>
> * Click "Post"
> * Write blog content, including title
> * Click "Save"

None of these exist yet, but they can be easily made to exist:

  [[{$Today}?action=edit&template=BlogTemplate | Edit today's article]]
    -- link to build (or edit) an article named by today's date

  [[{$FullName}?action=newpost&template=BlogTemplate | Post new article]]
    -- ?action=newpost redirects to edit a new article with computed
       name (could be a date, serial number, or date+serial number)

Another option is (:newpagebox:):

  (:newpagebox template=Site.BlogTemplate value="Article Name" button="Create new blog article")

Writing the title is as simple as writing (:title My article title:),
which could be prompted from the blog template or could come from
a recipe like EditTitle.

> > *  The blogger always has the option of reordering articles in
> >    the blog by simply editing the blog trail.  Articles in the
> >    blog trail can easily belong to different WikiGroups.
>
> Make sure, though, that a DateCreated property (or whatever) is
> preserved when editing posts or trails. We need to be able to create
> nice and correct archives *automatically*, no manual intervention.

Starting in 2.1.beta15 (not yet released), all pages have a "ctime"
attribute which identifies the time when a page was first created.
I don't have a markup for it yet, but it's likely to be {$Created}
(analogous to {$LastModified}).
See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/CreatedMarkup .