[pmwiki-users] Locked SideBar in new installation

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Aug 10 13:29:44 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-10  06:23 PM +0100, Hans is rumored to have said:
>I would prefer very much that the SideBar is editable right from the
>start, to emphasise the open wiki nature, and that it is not necessary
>first to create a config.php file and set an admin password, in order
>to liberate the editing of the SideBar. I find these admin steps far
>too much and in the way of an easy start. Let an admin restrict
>editing of the SideBar if he wishes, but let it be distributed with
>'nopass' set.

I like the idea of being able to edit the sidebar right away.

My only concern (and it is small) is having to explain the concept of
"nopass" to a newbie admin if all they want to do is protect the sidebar.
It is a bit convoluted. Perhaps there could be a bit of script magic in
config.php like $EnableSidebarPassword = 1, such that with no config.php,
the sidebar would not require a password.

And to spread the joy a bit further, what should the default protection
state be for pages such as RightBar,  PageTopMenu and PageFootMenu????

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668