[pmwiki-users] Convert an MS-Word file to PmWiki?

Jeff Henry jbhenry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:11:30 CDT 2005

On 4/29/05, Jonathan Scott Duff <duff at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:55:02AM -0400, Jeff Henry wrote:
> > I need to get a couple of big Word documents converted into a set of
> > wiki pages on my site. I found this PITS entry:
>
> I seem to recall an open source Word document parser out there called
> "wv" which AbiWord uses (used?) to import Word documents. You might try
> looking for that one. Someone may have already packaged it in a form you
> can readily use (perl module, php class, python module, etc.)
>
> Barring that, I'd do as Joachim suggests and convert to RTF and then
> use an RTF parser to transmogrify MSWord docs into PmWiki docs.
> (google knows where a PHP-based RTF parser lives)
>
> > The main things I'm looking to convert are bullet lists, numbered
> > lists, bold, italics, and headings.
>
> If this is your target, then parsing it yourself with REs may be a
> winner too.
>
> -Scott
> --
> Jonathan Scott Duff
> duff at pobox.com

Thanks all for the responses. Since I've only got a few documents, and
I'm only looking for a one-time conversion, I've decided to just do
the cut-n-paste thing. I've made a couple quick VIM macros that clean
up the most common stuff, plus a few minutes of manual editing, and
I'm good to go. Luckily, there's no real gnarly formating, or complex
tables.

Thanks again,
Jeff.

--