[pmwiki-users] Convert an MS-Word file to PmWiki?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Fri Apr 29 12:22:17 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:55:02AM -0400, Jeff Henry wrote:
> I need to get a couple of big Word documents converted into a set of
> wiki pages on my site. I found this PITS entry:
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00424
>
> but so far there's no solution listed. Any general pointers? The
> writer of the PITS above seems to want to convert many documents
> repeatedly, but I'm looking for more of a one-time conversion. I'm OK
> with manual conversion, but I'd be interested in any advice anyone has
> for making the process smoother and less tedious.

I seem to recall an open source Word document parser out there called
"wv" which AbiWord uses (used?) to import Word documents. You might try
looking for that one. Someone may have already packaged it in a form you
can readily use (perl module, php class, python module, etc.)

Barring that, I'd do as Joachim suggests and convert to RTF and then
use an RTF parser to transmogrify MSWord docs into PmWiki docs.
(google knows where a PHP-based RTF parser lives)

> The main things I'm looking to convert are bullet lists, numbered
> lists, bold, italics, and headings.

If this is your target, then parsing it yourself with REs may be a
winner too.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff