[pmwiki-users] Edit page extensions

Hans design at flutesong.net
Mon Apr 25 15:46:34 CDT 2005

Monday, April 25, 2005, 9:11:51 PM, Joachim wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 03:26:53PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
>>
>>>The more I read about wiki configuration pages, the more I want to see them
>>>in their own group (say, PmConfig).
>>
>> This is... -by far-, the best proposal I've ever heard for this.
>> Great job, Neil.  Almost every other name I've seen has some sort
>> of potential for conflict.

> I concur.
> If you don't object to being personally reconfigured with every PmWiki
> on the world, that is ;-)

>> Currently PmWiki comes distributed with the following pre-defined pages:
>>
>>     Main.HomePage     - default start page
>>     Main.SearchWiki   - search results page
>>     Main.PageNotFound - page of text displayed if page isn't located
>>     Main.WikiSandbox  - default sandbox
>>     Main.SideBar      - default sidebar
>>     PmWiki.*          - PmWiki documentation, but also contains
>>                         PmWiki.EditQuickReference and
>>                         PmWiki.UploadQuickReference
>>
>>     Main.GroupAttributes,
>>     PmWiki.GroupAttributes - pages to lock passwords on Main and PmWiki groups
>>
>> If we define a custom group for config pages, does that affect
>> anything in the Main or PmWiki groups?  Or does everything
>> work out okay if we leave all of the above pages where they are
>> (perhaps except PmWiki.EditQuickReference and PmWiki.UploadQuickReference)
>> and just add a PmConfig group?

> It will work out OK, but I think that configuration pages should go to
> PmConfig.

> Here's what I think what the various groups should contain:

> Main - an "empty wiki", ready to be filled with content.
->> has HomePage and WikiSandbox.

> PmWiki - documentation on PmWiki itself (end user, admin, skin & recipe
> writer docs - seems a big bunch but splitting that up isn't considered
> an option for now, and I tend to agree with that). Sidebars etc. can
> still link into that group, I see no problem with a side bar (or even a
> "normal content" page) linking into PmWiki.EditQuickReference or something.
->> stays as it is.

> PmConfig - anything that should be edited by wiki admins only, i.e. it
> should have those pages that influence the look&feel or the response of
> PmWiki.
->> gets all "generated" pages (SearchWiki, PageNotFound)
->> gets all "manipulation" pages (GroupAttributes, EditPage)
->> gets all "layout" pages (SideBar, RightBar, *Bar)

I like buttons for save, preview and cancel on top as well as below
the edit textarea.
See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/EditForm4

If there will be a PageEditForm where on can shuffle the markup
around, it should not be a problem.

But I really would like the width of the textarea to be 100% of the
page, and not a fixed character width.

Best,
~Hans