[pmwiki-users] Edit page extensions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 25 15:02:29 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 03:26:53PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> The more I read about wiki configuration pages, the more I want to see them
> in their own group (say, PmConfig).

This is... -by far-, the best proposal I've ever heard for this.
Great job, Neil.  Almost every other name I've seen has some sort
of potential for conflict.

Okay, now my post about group names that I said would be the
changes it somewhat, since originally I was going to decry the lack
of a good group name.  But there are still some issues to be addressed...

Currently PmWiki comes distributed with the following pre-defined pages:

    Main.HomePage     - default start page
    Main.SearchWiki   - search results page
    Main.PageNotFound - page of text displayed if page isn't located
    Main.WikiSandbox  - default sandbox
    Main.SideBar      - default sidebar
    PmWiki.*          - PmWiki documentation, but also contains
                        PmWiki.EditQuickReference and
                        PmWiki.UploadQuickReference

    Main.GroupAttributes,
    PmWiki.GroupAttributes - pages to lock passwords on Main and PmWiki groups

If we define a custom group for config pages, does that affect
anything in the Main or PmWiki groups?  Or does everything
work out okay if we leave all of the above pages where they are
(perhaps except PmWiki.EditQuickReference and PmWiki.UploadQuickReference)
and just add a PmConfig group?

Immediately going into PmConfig will be PmConfig.EditForm and
PmConfig.ActionsList.  Eventually we may also have PmConfig.AttrForm,
PmConfig.PasswordForm, PmConfig.LoginForm, PmConfig.UploadForm, etc.

How do we handle internationalization of these pages?  I don't
want to have a PmConfigFr group, so I'd guess the forms either
have to be self-internationalizing (e.g., via $[phrase] markups
in the forms themselves) or corresponding per-language forms in
the PmWikiFr, PmWikiDe, PmWikiEs, etc. groups.  Personally I think
I prefer the $[phrase] markups...