[pmwiki-users] cleanURLand subdomain config.

jack marting jmartingcorp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:12:28 CDT 2005

This is a compound question from a novice, so bear with me.

I have one site up already http://localink.us and am having problems
getting clean URLs (which is not a major concern at the moment). My
big concern is getting my subdomains lined up. This is not PmWiki
specific but it is something I'm sure many of you have had at least
some experience with. It is using mod_rewrite in a .htaccess file.

PROBLEM:
My host has told me that it is possible to have unlimited subdomains
under my domain name but they will not tell me how to do it. But they
did give me a hint quote "Technical information on how to do this is
beyond our
support, but as a good guide initial step is to add *.youdomain.com in
your DNS configuration, then use mod-rewrite in a .htaccess file."

QUESTIONS:
1--My DNS configuration has several categories (A,NS,CNAME,STR,MX,
etc.). Which category should I put this "*.youdomain.com" into, or
should I put it into all of them?
2--Do they actually mean "*.youdomain.com" or do they mean
"subdomain1.youdomain.com" then "subdomain2.youdomain.com" (etc.)?
3--File structure, should the subdomain be a subfolder of the domain
folder or could it be a main folder on the same level as the domain
(htdocs)?
4--Which .htaccess file in which folder should the code be placed?
5-The code, currently my .htaccess file contains only "Directoryindex
pmwiki.php". Should it be before or after this line?
6--What code, I have searched the web and found only one example of
mod_rewrite used in a .htaccess file that was clear enough for me to
understand. But I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work on the
WAMP setup on my Windowsbox.
7--And finally, I have not been able to make the Clean URLs work either.

The subdomain problem must be a common occurrance.  Can anyone direct
me to a good tutorial or help me with the above questions? Thank you!
--gringojack