[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 16:36:08 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:21:33PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I doubt that many newbie skin designers (especially those who are doing
> well just to understand HTML and CSS) would be comfortable with or have
> much hope of understanding (or using) the proposed <!--function:Action*-->
> items, even with a couple of working "boilerplate" examples.  (And having
> them in the basic examples would definitely turn many people off from
> making the attempt.) But that's just my opinion based on my experiences
> with helping others create skins for their sites.

I think I should clarify my previous post a bit -- it may have
been worded too strongly.  In particular, I'm not opposed to having
skin designers create a standard for handling actions across skins,
and I'm even not completely opposed to a set of functions like
<!--function:Action*-->.  I just see them as being useful to only a
very small number of PmWiki sites (while substantially increasing
the learning curve for skin designers), so they're not strong candidates
for the core.

Overall if anything is done here I tend to lean towards the idea of
having the actions as ordered lists in separate pages, which are then
processed by <!--wiki:--> directives and styled by appropriate CSS.
This seems to give the most flexibility and ease of understanding.
We can even include a default "actions" page in the distribution,
even if the default distribution skin (and other skins) elect not to
use it.