[Pmwiki-users] curious about the origin of free links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Oct 16 16:35:09 CDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:12:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i've (briefly) dabbled with both twiki and kwiki and never noticed
> anything like pmwiki's free links.  is this exclusively a pmwiki
> feature?  or was it invented elsewhere?  just curious about where
> these things originate.

John Rankin came up with the original free links idea (and implementation)
in November 2002 for PmWiki 0.3, and it was modified slightly and added
to PmWiki 0.4 in March 2003.  I'm not sure where John got it from.

The PmWiki 2.0 implementation of free links borrows heavily from PmWiki 1.0's
implementation but also incorporates ideas found in MediaWiki (the software
that runs the Wikipedia).