Wiki Farms was: [Pmwiki-users] one installation, multiple wikis

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Mar 19 13:29:27 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:42:15PM -0500, Crisses wrote:
> that might be one way that you're sure that all
> installations of fields pass the approval of the server admins since
> they're probably going to need to chown the wiki.d directories to the
> webserver on behalf of the users.
> [...]
> 5) yell for an admin to chmod the wiki.d folder [...]

Is there a reason that server admins would have to chown the wiki.d
directories?  The intent of PmWiki's installation sequence is that
wiki.d and upload directories can be created without server admin
intervention--why would this need to be different in the case of a farm?

More generally...

> I had to leave a webhost because
> they floundered in indecision about changing over the wiki.d ownership
> to the webserver.  I don't *blame* them, but it meant I had to bail
> from my hosting service, because I've invested too much time and work
> in the wiki content to switch back to flat files.

Could you briefly describe what sorts of issues you had with your
previous webhost and the wiki.d directory?  Was it simply that they
had a policy against directories/files being owned by the webserver,
or was it that you were having to get them to perform chown/chmod
operations on your behalf because it wasn't working via the pmwiki
scripts for some reason?