[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Mar 2 13:34:43 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:43:53PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
[ snip ]

> But I think all of this is really overdoing it... shouldn't a wiki be easy
> to use, and if that's the case, why should you be fiddling with stuff like
> 'width', 'height' etc?

Perhaps I've been steeped in perl too long, but "easy things easy and
hard things possible" seems to apply quite well to wiki too.  Witness
the alternate table syntax.  The simpler syntax works for most
situations, but when you want to do something complicated, the other,
slightly more complicated syntax lets you.

Your original post on this subject made me see images in a similar
light. Most of the time you'll just want an image to appear in the text
as-is with no complexity. But sometimes you'll want to specify all or
most of the height, width, [hv]space, border, align, etc. attributes.
So, I agree with the spirit of your original post: there should be an
alternate syntax for the complicated mechanism.

Pm may balk at the overloaded double brackets, but there's lots of
other punctuation characters we can try  :)

> (Alternate text might be motivated although, but I
> doubt it's used often enough to motivate not using a wiki style to set the
> alternate text).

Perhaps.

-Scott
--