[Pmwiki-users] Re: Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Jun 12 16:45:28 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 08:37:42PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
>  I've been thinking that maybe it'd be better to give each
> page a uniqe ID (a number or something). This would have some advantages:
> * We can do version control of page renaming (name changes, ID is constant)

I don't see this as being a big selling feature--how often has anyone
needed version control of the page name?  (Note that the existence of
[:title:] also affects this a fair bit.)

> * We can have several page paths point to the same page (this is something
>   I'd really like, because it'd allow me to place a page in more than one
>   group). What I mean is that the links (or page paths)
> 	/LyX/LaTeX-tools
>   and
> 	/LaTeX/LaTeX-tools
>   would refer to the same page.

Are you saying that [[include:LyX/LaTeX-tools]] and/or
[[redirect:LyX/LaTeX-tools]] aren't sufficient to do this?  Did you
need them to appear the same for searches or something?

> It's probably a good idea to think of the pages as a database (regardless
> of how it's implemented), and look at how to structure it from that point
> of view.

PmWiki 2.0 does just that.