[Pmwiki-users] Re: Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sat Jun 12 12:37:49 CDT 2004

> > > Finally I'd just like to say that I don't think we should be restricted by
> > > the current implementation of how pages are stored (i.e. as a file called
> > > GroupName.PageName).
>
> I haven't done anything with that restriction in mind.  In fact, PmWiki 2.0
> has pluggable wiki storage objects, so that you can choose any storage
> backend design you want (i.e., flat files, MySQL tables, other).

That's good. I've been thinking that maybe it'd be better to give each
page a uniqe ID (a number or something). This would have some advantages:

* We can do version control of page renaming (name changes, ID is constant)

* We can have several page paths point to the same page (this is something
  I'd really like, because it'd allow me to place a page in more than one
  group). What I mean is that the links (or page paths)
	/LyX/LaTeX-tools
  and
	/LaTeX/LaTeX-tools
  would refer to the same page.

It's probably a good idea to think of the pages as a database (regardless
of how it's implemented), and look at how to structure it from that point
of view.

/Christian