[Pmwiki-users] Re: new directive tag syntax (was: Pmwiki new version)

Wayne Lee wl.pmwiki
Thu Jun 10 09:02:47 CDT 2004

hey gang,

i've been out for a while, but you guys
seem to have been very busy.  i like the
new developments.

why have separate syntax for values
and directives?

coming from the 'i really dislike perl because
the occasional user cannot remember when
to use $, @, %, \, &, (), {}, []' camp, i think it's
easier to remember just one syntax.  keep
everything using brackets.  it's simple and
easier for the author.

the user probably doesn't know the
semantic differences -- they probably
understand it as something to type to
do something special.

for the pmwiki implementers, we can divide
the namespace by restricting values to start
with upper-case, and directives to start
with lower-case.

example:

[$LastModified]
[$noheader]

the '$' can be replaced by an internationally
acceptable letter that easy to type after the '['.
the original colon at the end of the directive
(e.g. [:noheader:]) is an extra letter to type,
and an extra letter to type in error, that IMO
doesn't buy much.

this also has the advantage of allowing
directives to be embedded in a line in the
future.

comments?

thanks,
wayne