[Pmwiki-users] Re: new syntax

J. Meijer commentgg
Thu Jun 10 04:38:59 CDT 2004

I have this sleek new syntax with powerful macro-styles and more predictable
line-break behaviour. I am working on a flat "PmWiki-style" hierarchy and
free skinning. All worthy of being part of what defines a PmWiki 2.0.

But Pmwiki 2.0 will be a very different beast, almost a PmWiki 0.6 with
directories, too different, too compatible. A better engine. So I feel I
should go alone, use PmWiki 2 as a point of departure, *not* share, but at
some point release it as a cookbook wiki under a new name.

I feel this situation is a missed opportunity for the pmwiki community. I am
sure this new style makes a better PmWiki, a much more capable richer one,
rivalling and improving on html, complete with nesting. But all familiar
two-character markups are gone. It is not a simplistic pmwiki. But
nevertheless any syntax is clear, language neutral and accessible for the
unitiated.

Perhaps it is possible to have it both ways: have an advanced wiki capable
of full-range site-development. And a more traditional compatible version if
that is what the group requires.

An extreme wiki that delivers alongside PmWiki Classic focussing on
compatibility, is that something the pmwiki-community would embrace?

Going off-line now.

-jm