[Pmwiki-users] Re: Pmwiki new version

Steven Leite steven_leite
Tue Jun 8 21:40:00 CDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 08, 2004 5:23 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Note that I've also been intending to use [:...:] or something like
> it for things that generate text, e.g.  [:toc pagename:],
> [:search text:],  [:attachlist:], as well as additional things like
> [:table:], [:cell:], [:cellnr:], [:div:], [:nocache:], [:cloak:], etc.

> There may be an argument to be made that some of these represent
> directives, others are properties, and since others generate content,
> and since they do different things they should have a different markup
> syntax.

> However, I think that authors will not care about these
> distinctions, and will tend to focus on the word (e.g., "noheader",
> "table", "search") as the distinguishing characteristic and not the
> characters used to surround it--indeed authors will get annoyed if
> they have to remember the "type" of each directive and the
> punctuation that goes along with it.

Agreed.  Does that mean you're going to stick with one syntax for ALL
(most) of the aforementioned items?

Eg.  [[cell]] [[search]] [[nocache]] [[notitle]] [[toc pagename]] etc?

Er, wait a sec .. that conflicts with the previously mentioned new
methods for [[Links]].  You have another syntax in mind right?  Okay,
what about {{cell}}, {{search}}, {{nocache}}, {{notitle}}, {{toc
pagename}}, etc?  I like it because {{}} and [[]] use the same key on
the keyboard, only difference is the SHIFT key.

It will  be especially nice if you adopt my idea of making {{FreeLinks}}
[[RegularLinks]] one-in-the-same.  Then the {{ }} will be free'd up for
other things.

-Steven