[Pmwiki-users] Re: Pmwiki new version

Steven Leite steven_leite
Tue Jun 8 20:52:52 CDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 08, 2004 4:01 PM [GMT+1=CET],
John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 8 June 2004 10:24 AM, Patrick R. Michaud
> <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>    4.  I  feel  the  choice  of  double  brackets for  links  is
>>>    perhaps unfortunate (ugly).
>>
>> I chose this for a wide variety of reasons, including compatibility
>> with other wiki engines.  However, it's *very* customizable, and
>> designed to be able to emulate the markups used by other engines.
>> So, what would you prefer to see instead?  ;-)
>>

> 3. I'm less convinced by the directives markup [: ... :]
>    http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/Directives
>    for the following reasons:
>    - it looks like an inline markup ([+...+], [=...=] and so on)
>    - it might be needed for a future inline markup (although
>      i can't think what for right now)
>    - it's a bit awkward to type
>
>    I propose the following alternative
>      [directive parameters] eg
>      [title text]
>      [noheader]

I think JR has a good point, but I also don't like his proposed
following alternatives because they could appear in "normal text".  I
think double brackets works fine.  If not double brackets, then
double-something-else.  Two reasons for doubling-up the syntax.

a) As JR commented, [:  :]  is harder to type than [[ ]]
b) [single] brackets is not obscure enough to avoid the possibility of
it appearing in regular text

Even ::no header::   ((no footer))  or ##no group header##. would work
for me.  I think ((this)) looks best.

-Steven
I d