[Pmwiki-users] Re: More spam in the sandbox

Nils Knappmeier nk
Tue Jun 8 01:07:42 CDT 2004

>I think I'm going to block my sandbox from showing in google searches, as that
>seems to be the main search term for them at the moment.

It's not only the Sandbox. I have only had Spam once or twice, but that
time, someone created a new page (Main/Computer)
with a link to another site in it. And if you think about it: It appears
in the recent changes, so Google probably finds it.
Maybe the Recent Changes should be disallowed for robots.

Another feature, more in the direction of vandalism, would be to make
something like: "Reset the whole wiki to the state of (time/date)."

I am a bit worried of bots being able to change 50 pages instantly and
me having to reset them all manually.

Third idea about spamming is this captcha-like thing
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha). The idea is to automatically
create images
of letters and digits that are so distorted that a computer cannot
identify them. The edit form could get such a picture and
only save the page if you enter the digites correctly into a text field.
Then you could have special passwords for bots that are allowed to
modify the site without having to recognize the image.

What do you think about this? Helpful, unnessecary, too difficult?

Nils

>- --
>Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>             JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>
>
>Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?
>
>PGP Key 0x776DB663 = DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D B663

home: http://www.dike.de/~nknapp
icq: 11786572

The great thing about being the only species that makes
a distinction between right and wrong is that we can
make up the rules for ourselves as we go along.

Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See...