[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 14 08:12:34 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:50:14PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> A few details:
> * I like the validation links at the bottom, but when I try to validate
>   as HTML 4.01 I get:
> 	Line 4, column 102: character data is not allowed here
> 	  ...pub/css/pmwiki.css' type='text/css' />
>   and the page only get "tentatively" validated as strict xhtml.

I think there's a bug of sorts in the HTML 4.01 validator, it doesn't
understand the trailing / at the end of the <link ... /> tag (and the /
is required for XHTML compatibility.

The page is only "tentatively" validated because it has an HTML 4.01 DOCTYPE
declaration at the beginning--changing the DOCTYPE ought to cause it to
become completely valid.  However, I think it's important that PmWiki
continue to default to the HTML DOCTYPE for the time being because
some local customizations might not produce valid XHTML, and some browsers
would then choke where they'd otherwise work with an HTML DOCTYPE.

> * I think the part names would be easier to read if they were named like:
> 	'wikihead-r' or 'wikihead_r' instead of 'wikiheadr' etc.

Probably, although I personally don't like underscores very much, so it'd
be 'wikihead-r', 'wikihead-l', etc.  Also, for a long time underscores
weren't valid in CSS identifiers (they are now according to the amended
CSS2 specification, but some browsers still may not allow them).

> * I think it'd look nicer if:
> 		SearchWiki
> 		  WikiHelp
> 	     RecentChanges
>    was changed into:                   (or maybe using spaces:)
> 		  WikiHelp			     Wiki help
> 		SearchWiki		           Search wiki
> 	     RecentChanges		        Recent changes

I'm thinking of changing it so that SearchWiki is actually given a small
search box (in addition to a "Search" link), WikiHelp becomes just "Help".
Also, these are internationalized items, and I'm planning to have the
internationalizations stored in wiki pages, so then it'd be easy for
a WikiAdministrator to change the prompts just by changing the
internationalization.

Any particular reasons for the ordering you suggest above?