[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Math->image using LaTeX (was Re: More blue skye stuff...)

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Feb 6 01:30:27 CST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Robin Sheat wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:31:12PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > Is $ ... $ inline math or display math in Latex? (and what's the other?)
> $ $ is inline, \begin{displaymath} is display math. There is another,
> shorter, form of it too, but I can't remember either of where it is, or
> where my LaTeX reference is (that said, I don't think I've seen the
> latter for the better part of a year)

Isn't it [\ \] or something like that? Oh well, inline is what we should
start with anyway.

> > But about the MD5 hash... what's the likelyhood of a false positive?
> > Don't we also need to maintain an exact copy of the latex code?
> It would be very minimal. MD5 gives you 128 bits of uniqueness, which is
> a reasonable number. If you wanted to be extra careful (can't hurt),
> then make the name be GroupName-PageName-MD5.png (however, if you have
> one equation show up a lot in a group, you may want to shorten it to
> GroupName-MD5.png to save on space)

Just a "neatness"-feeling, i.e. making something that is guaranteed to not
produce false positives as compared to just very likely...

/Christian