[Pmwiki-users] Suggestion for modified installation error messag

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 29 20:08:05 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:02:00PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:

> However, I was actually a little bit confused by the text that shows up
> before you've created wiki.d/. It's better than before, but I amused
> myself by writing a more idiot-proof version here:
> 	http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Temp/InstMsg
> If the text is suitable, I assume it'll have to be ported hardcoded
> pmwiki.php?

I really like the suggested text.  Unfortunately, it probably would need to
be hardcoded somewhere, and placing it in mkdirp() would really extend
the length of that that function.  Part of me doesn't like adding extra
text for the PHP parser to have to deal with, especially for something
that will only be executed once (i.e., when PmWiki is first installed).

I've been thinking about making the Abort() function a bit smarter, so
that when an error occurs PmWiki loads scripts/abort.php which then
provides better diagnostics.  This would hopefully keep the running
size of PmWiki a bit smaller except/until some sort of exception occurs
that needs the increased diagnostics.