[Pmwiki-users] Re: Plugin/listener model

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Dec 9 16:00:58 CST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:16:14PM +0100, Patrick Schwarz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I saw in the PmWiki code it is very easy to add individual markup by
> using the Markup function and I would wish me something similar for plugins.
>
> At the moment I must add a "hack" to implement additional features but
> it would be much more comfortable and clean - in my opinion - if PmWiki
> would have some kind of plugin concept. Another advantage would be to
> preserve the simple upgrade mechanism that exists currently.

PmWiki already has a plugin concept -- all of the scripts and recipes
that are at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook are examples of
plugins.  They're hardly "hacks" -- some of them are fairly sophisticated...

> One possible application area could be a plugin which would create PDF
> pages automatically when saving a page.

John Rankin has already developed a plugin that allows one to create
PDF files of individual pages as well as sequences of pages.  I'm not
sure of its current status, but you might look at the PublishWikiTrail
script.

> Another plugin could be an authorization plugin which would listen to
> all relevant functions (edit, save...) and check first if a user is
> allowed to execute the current action.

Authorization is already pluggable -- simply set $AuthFunction to the
name of your custom authorization function.  Some people have written
plugins (although not distributed publicly) that use external LDAP or
RADIUS databases for performing authorization and authentication.