[Pmwiki-users] Display of pmwiki skin & HTMLVSpace in Opera

Nathan Jones pmwiki
Thu Dec 9 00:04:46 CST 2004

I have a couple of questions about PmWiki2's standard CSS and the strange
or undesirable effects it has in Opera. (Let me know if I should be
raising this in PITS instead.)

1. Body width: not taking up 100%

pmwiki.css says:
body { margin-left:20px; margin-right:20px; position:absolute; }

What is position:absolute meant to achieve here? I'm not sure why, but
with this in place, I find that Opera (7.53) doesn't stretch out the page
as intended by "<table id='wikimid' width='100%'>" in the template. I see
two symptoms: 1. screen renders narrowly, then stretches out more after a
reload, and 2. screen still doesn't take up 100% after reload. An
example: http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Security has very little
text, and Opera leaves the page narrow to fit.

For my wiki, I have removed position:absolute, and now pages are rendered
at 100% (minus 20px margins).

2. $HTMLVSpace issue.

The <!--HeaderText--> directive in the .tmpl includes: some default CSS, a
meta element for robots, plus links to Group.css and Group.Page.css, so I
don't want to remove it. But how would I change or disable the default
CSS?

The problem I see in Opera stems from this HTML output:

<h1> Project Plan</h1>

The vspace <p> is there because I left a blank line when editing my wiki
page, for the sake of readability. It is not a problem in Gecko-based
browsers like Firefox, but opera seems to add the margin-top:1.33em of
the vspace <p> to the margin of the <h1>, so I end up with an unsightly
large gap between <h1> and <h2>.

I can set $HTMLVSpace='' to prevent this, but then my paragraphs get
squashed together, because the default CSS still forces a 0px margin.

Is there a way to disable the following line when $HTMLVSpace=''?
  ul, ol, pre, dl, p { margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; }

--
Nathan Jones