[Pmwiki-users] Newbie question - how to set the "root" page of a group

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Thu Apr 8 08:20:41 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 09:47:36AM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> And then, when accidently someone creates a
> page with the same name as a group, the behavior changes and people
> won't know why.

Good point, but how likely is it to happen?

> I know, that it's difficult to change this now, without having
> compatibility problems, but I would recommend, either
> 1) Removing this automatic, quiet redirecting behavior (so that you
>    get an edit form when the page doesn't exist)
> 2) or going to the $DefaultTitle directly (not looking for the same
>    group name)
> 3) or do a redirect, but give a note to the user saying that the root
>    page didn't exist. Similar the [[redirect:]]
>
> Myself, I like to first one best.

I'd opt for #2 if we're changing the existing behavior.

Option #1 doesn't make much sense to me. The only time this feature
comes into play is when a pagename *isn't* specified; just the group. So
which page would you get an edit box for? The page with the same name as
the group? That just amounts to setting $DefaultTitle to always be the
same as the group name.

BTW, does $DefaultTitle strike anyone else as a weird name for this
variable?  Why not $DefaultPagename?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff