[Pmwiki-users] Newbie question - how to set the "root" page of a group

Nils Knappmeier nk
Thu Apr 8 01:48:07 CDT 2004

>The default root page of a group is the same name of the group, and if
>that page doesn't exist then it's the page given by the $DefaultTitle
>variable.  $DefaultTitle is initialized to "HomePage" but can be changed
>in config.php to be something else.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of that if you hadn't said it. Honestly, I
find this behavior a little
unexpected.
Well, I think, it's good to have the default page, with the same as the
group. But if you just revert to
HomePage, if the default page doesn't exist, nobody will ever find out
about it. And then, when accidently someone
creates a page with the same name as a group, the behavior changes and
people won't know why.

I know, that it's difficult to change this now, without having
compatibility problems, but I would recommend,
either
1) Removing this automatic, quiet redirecting behavior (so that you get
an edit form when the page doesn't exist)
2) or going to the $DefaultTitle directly (not looking for the same
group name)
3) or do a redirect, but give a note to the user saying that the root
page didn't exist. Similar the [[redirect:]]

Myself, I like to first one best.

Nils