[Pmwiki-users] Free Links {{GroupName/ vs. {{Group Name/

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Apr 3 12:32:56 CST 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:28:48PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
>    And  I'm  having  a hard to thinking of what to tell authors when they
>    try  to create a free-link like:  {{My Group/Anything}} and it doesn't
>    work.
>
>    Remind me again why this doesn't work?

Two answers:

1.  {{MyGroup/something}} is a very new syntax--the standard used to be
MyGroup/{{something}}.  The inclusion of group names only made it into
0.6 at the very last minute, and in many respects I should've waited
for 0.7 to include it.  So, spaces aren't included in the group name
only because of a lack of time to update $FreeLinkPattern and the
rest of the code to be able to handle spaces in free links.

2.  Because of the slash, {{My Group/something}} will appear exactly
the same as {{MyGroup/something}} (i.e., it's displayed as "something"),
so there's not much point to allowing the space.

Eventually free links will probably evolve to allow spaces in group
names, but only after I have time to properly test and evaluate it
within a larger context.  As usual, I prefer to introduce a small feature
first, leaving the door open for a forward-compatible extension after it's
better understood/studied, rather than commit to a feature that we may
later regret when trying to maintain backward compatibility
(PmWikiPhilosophy #3).