[Pmwiki-users] Markup

Kremena Gotcheva infom
Sun Sep 7 00:40:56 CDT 2003

Hi All,

There is a Bulgarian proverb saying you sometimes "cannot see the wood out
of looking at trees" (that is, details). Well maybe someone unfamiliar with
the trees could try to tell a few words about the wood ;-)

The markup thread circles around a revelation of what Wiki markup should be.
What happened to me while reading Patrick's opinion was being reminded of
the word "intuitive" all the time. Now, "intuituve" is a market slogan for
WYSYWYG tools so let's analyse a bit what's behind to derive the intuitive
markup:

As you rightly point out, punctuation is markup, and therefore evrything
resembling it would be intuitive markup (in my intuitive opinion).
However, intuituve punctuation is something different for different native
languages (think of the reversed ? at the beginning of a question in
Spanish, or a rule in Bulgarian that certainly would be counter-intuitive to
anyone of you while very natural to me - one should never put a comma before
the word for "and") and also by other rules - to understand Pedro's
citations, one must have read a certain book about looking glasses, for
example - and giving the citation often assumes most of the audience has.

Therefore, there should be another component in intuitiveness and this is
the set of common rules between speaker and listener. There are innumerable
such rules in natural languages as anyone who has learned a language knows -
and, as far as I can see, very few such common denominators in the Wiki
world.

Setting up the list of such common rules for Wiki would probably help in
future. The first one, however, is "double it". To make a valid WikiWord out
of the word Wiki, you have to say WikiWiki. A well known Wiki is called
MoinMoin, thus doubling the Frisian word for "Good Morning".

So my intuitive proposal for generating intuitive Wiki markup rules would
be:
1) Take a set of whatever characters are natural for the native language,
profession, inclinations etc. of the target group of your wiki
2) Double them
3) Feed the result into a set of variables defining what is bold, italic,
line break, ordered list, etc.

This should work, I think, with very few exceptions (like the space
character that many computer half-literates use instead of tabs, and the
dash represented by two minus signs) since people do not, normally, double
punctuation. And to determine which characters to exclude, just take typical
text to be used in the wiki and see whether they frequently occur there
double. Then, look for the most-similarly-looking replacement characters and
return to point 2 above.

This may arise the question what would be the WikiEsperanto, then, so I
throw it in the round ;-)

Hope this helps,
Kremena