[Pmwiki-users] Re: indent sequence (was: Whitepaper about markup strategy)

Thomas Tyler tgtyler at att.net
Sat May 17 18:18:43 CDT 2003

> Or, if you really want to use the blockquote tag:
> $InlineReplacements["/^->(.*)/"] = "<blockquote>\$1</blockquote>";
> Can a <blockquote> include other <blockquote> tags in HTML, to do
> multiple indents?  I've never tried it.

Actually, it dawned on me this morning: simply having the
proposed ->, -->, --->, etc. markups implemented (as blockquote markup and
not to parse into : and then to definition lists) would alleviate, for the
most part, the problem of times and smileys in text indented using :. Having
code like

: Thursday, 6:30 p.m. -- meeting in room 118

currently attempts to treat "Thursday, 6" as the definition term, requiring
the author to escape the colon in "6:30". So, by using

-> Thursday, 6:30 p.m. -- meeting in room 118

the line should be indented with no unintended effects and no escaping
required.

Assuming definition lists rarely contain times or smileys (unless it's a
definition list about time or smileys, of course ;), if authors then used ->
for indention and blockquotes, the only lingering side effect I still
foresee is attempting to start a line with a smiley. In that case, I already
provide an alternative syntax for my wikismileys, by using {.

Nested blockquotes are allowed. See
http://internet-tips.net/HTML/BLOCKQUOTE.htm

Janice, via Tom