[Pmwiki-users] comment/vote on proposed changes

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue May 6 17:41:13 CDT 2003

Here are a couple of discussion items on the backticks proposal:

1.  In April, John Rankin proposed the following substitution pattern
for backticks:
	([A-Za-z0-9.\\/])`([A-Z])
Basically this says that any backtick after a letter, digit, dot, or
slash and before an uppercase letter is removed.  Thus CI`Os would
remove the backtick but Gr`oupWise would not.  However,=20
Text`FormattingRules would still have FormattingRules as a WikiWord
and would have to be in the markup as Text`Formatting`Rules to avoid this.

1a.  Is there an advantage to be gained (and what disadvantages exist)
in using the pattern=20
        ([A-Za-z0-9.\\/])`([A-Za-z])
instead?  This would remove backticks in front of lowercase letters
in addition to uppercase ones, thus T`extFormattingRules would not
have any WikiWords in it because WikiWords cannot begin with a lowercase
letter.
--
I prefer 1b

1b.  Since backticks are used rarely, how about simply saying that
any CamelCase string preceded with a backtick is not a WikiWord and has =
the
backtick removed.  Thus `WikiWord, `TextFormattingRules, `CIOs, etc.
are all non-wikiwords.  If someone really needs a backtick in front
of a WikiWord link, they can always write [=3D`=3D]WikiWord or `{{WikiWord}=
}
or any of a number of other combinations to achieve it.  (Note that this
proposal can be combined with the previous ones if compatibility is
an issue.)
--
So `PmWiki/`PmWiki would display as plain PmWiki/PmWiki=20

And I would write Main/`HomePage and &`AElig;

Sounds good to me. Escaping a whole wikiword is more author-efficient than =
escaping individual wiki letters, and easier to explain. Could we do 1 for =
backward compatibility as well, please? It's not a big deal for me to =
change things, so I'm relaxed if you prefer to omit it.

JR