[Pmwiki-users] Reassignment of groups

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Sun May 4 15:52:34 CDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 04:41:48PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> PM wrote (a while back, about people putting their pages in the wrong
> groups):
>
> > Or perhaps it's just not worth worrying about.  I'm already seeing on
> > the SciTechWiki and TAMUCCWiki that a person or group creates lots
> > of pages within "Main", and then either they or someone else comes
> > along soon afterwards and moves them into a WikiGroup.  So maybe it's
> > a self-resolving problem.
>
> How easy is it for an administrator to reassign a group to a page?  Is it as
> easy as just renaming the file for the page in the wiki.d folder?  Or is
> there more to it?  Is there a way of doing it which will change the links on
> the site so that they point to the new page location?  Should there be?

One can just rename the file in the wiki.d folder.  This doesn't
correct the links that point to the page's old location, but my
solution has always been to create a page at the old location
telling people the page has moved.  This is important also because
someone may have bookmarked the old page.

I've also considered making wiki-page redirects (where one page
automatically redirects the browser to a new page) but neither I
nor anyone else has said this is a "gotta have" feature yet.

I'm not a real fan of doing lots of automated search/replace operations;
the potential for the system "doing the wrong thing" is a bit higher than
I like.  So something like the redirect solution works for me.

Also, several people in the last couple of weeks have commented that they'd
really like a group/page rename facility, so I may add a script for that
soon.

> I'm reading through some of the group backlogs trying to locate some of the
> undocumented features.  When I find them, I'm going to attempt to add them
> to the documentation, since that's pretty easy, when one finds them.

Please please do so.  And also it'd be good to catch any ideas/suggestions
from the pmwiki-users archives and other places and add them to the
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development group, just so we can remember
they were suggested.

Thanks!