[Pmwiki-users] Who owns the PmWiki documentation?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Mar 6 14:42:38 CST 2003

As I see the wonderful richness of documentation emerging for PmWiki, I =
find myself pondering things like: who owns this, can I change it, can I =
reuse parts of it elsewhere, should I sign contributions I make, if I =
contribute what rights as an author am I ceding (if any) and so on.

There is a short page at http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/CopyRights =
which tried to set my thinking in order -- to which Patrick has added his =
usual compelling and clear editorial response.

There is a distinction between the PmWiki documentation and any content =
which people may create on sites using PmWiki (which wasn't clear on the =
page I wrote and I will change it).

To cut to the chase, a modest proposal by way of a topic for debate. I don'=
t know whether I agree with it or not.

Straw Man Proposal: that PmWiki documentation carry the statement (=
possibly on every page) 'All text in the PmWiki/ group is available for =
use under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licence.'

IANAL and maybe I should just go with the flow and not think about it, so =
feel free to ignore this post if you think it's a non-issue...
--=20
John Rankin
Affinity Limited
T 64 4 495 3737