[Pmwiki-users] page revisions: alternative "merged" view?

Fabio Reis Cecin frcecin
Tue Dec 16 17:31:20 CST 2003

That's a good alternative. But then...

[philosophy warning]

...I just remembered what I was really thinking when I tought about the
usability of "restore" :-) It's just that in some organizations, there isn't a "wiki"
culture yet (like where I installed pmwiki), so the idea of somebody visiting
the site and proactively volunteering to restore a page wouldn't happen. The
"vandalised" page will sit there until I move my butt over there and fix it (not
complaining, just -- setting the stage(?) ). So I was thinking if there could
be a more, say, "obvious", mechanism so other people would "discover" restore
for themselves.

I see that all the methods propose including your "preview restore" are much
smarter overall, and I think pmwiki doesn't NEED a change, but think "windows
user" for a bit: Windows is a good interface because if you are a clueless user,
you can figure out (by yourself) more easily how to do stuff. Maybe showing full
page, "merged" previews is more clumsy for an experienced user, but maybe it's
easier to understand for the average "windows user" (like me :-) that bumps into
the page by accident, while wondering: "gee there's a 'restore' link here, I wonder
if this can be used to restore the page...."

[]'s
Fabio