[Pmwiki-users] Question regarding setup of webserver.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Aug 20 10:20:21 CDT 2003

Actually, you don't even need mod_rewrite--you can simply place the following
in the apache configuration file:

   Alias / /file/path/to/pmwiki.php/

and urls of the form  http://server/Main/HomePage  will work.
Note that Apache 2.0 installations still need to set "AcceptPathInfo On"
in order for this to work.

As Carlo mentioned, the downside to this approach is that every url
is treated as a PmWiki page.  In particular, there's no way to access
other files (e.g., uploads) at the same server hostname, because
http://server/uploads/Group/file.ext will be sent to PmWiki.

However, I just thought of something:  Perhaps one can take advantage of
the fact that WikiGroup names always begin with a capital letter,
and therefore only alias the urls that start with a capital letter.
Thus placing

   AliasMatch /([A-Z].*) /file/path/to/pmwiki.php/$1

in the httpd configuration will cause all urls of the form
http://server/Group/PageName to be sent to PmWiki because of the
capital 'G', while other urls not beginning with a capital letter
(e.g., http://server/uploads/... and http://server/~username) would
continue to be treated normally.

I just tried this on my local system and it worked, but there's a
bizarre side-effect that urls for non-existent resources (404 Not Found
errors) get passed to PmWiki as requests for "HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var".

Also note that the Alias and AliasMatch directives in Apache only work
in the server and virtual host configuration files--i.e., not in
.htaccess files.  I'll see if I can come up with a mod_rewrite equivalent
(mod_rewrite does work in per-directory .htaccess files).

Pm