[Pmwiki-users] discussion on line breaks

Carlo Strozzi carlos
Mon Aug 11 03:24:42 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 03:01:33PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:02:28PM +0200, Bernhard.Weichel at t-online.de wrote:
> > Crisses wrote:
> > > I see a problem of backward compatibility with your "one space at
> > > beginning" suggestion
> > >

> > This is pretty true. I fear backwards compatibility will one of
> > these days terminate the further development of PmWiki.
>
> I must respectfully disagree.  Backwards compatibility is a highly
> desirable goal but not a law--I've never claimed that I would preserve
> backwards compatibility at all costs.  However, I've yet to encounter
> a situation where that has been a real problem.
(...)

I would like to stress one point, which certainly is a personal opinion
but which I think should be kept in mind: wikis make sense if they
are simple and straightforward (which inevitably menas that they offer
limited rendering capabilities). If the language gets more and more
sophisticated then I think it would be much better to revert to plain
(X)HTML, which has stronger fundations and more extensibility than
wikis' simplified markups. But if I wanted other then simplicity I would
have turned to other then pmwiki right from the start. Just IMHO, but
let's avoid more creeping featurism, unless it really leaves the basic
mechanics unaffected.

cheers,
Carlo
--
For best reading please set the Courier font.
Freedom for Business: http://swpat.ffii.org