[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki localization ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Aug 5 10:07:13 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:17:04PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:

> Anyway, this is what I tried in i18n-it.php:
>
> $RecentChanges = array(
>    '$[Main.AllRecentChanges]' => '$Group.$Tlink',
>    '$[$Group.RecentChanges]' => '$Group/$Tlink');
>
> array_unshift($XLLangs,'it');
> XLSDV('it',array(
>   'Main.AllRecentChanges' => 'Main.TuttiICambiamentiRecenti',
>   '$Group.RecentChanges' => '$Group.ModificheRecenti',
>   ... etc ....
>
> yet I still don't see any effect. You can try it yourself at:
>
>   http://mail.strozzi.it/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/carlo/wiki.sh/PmWikiIt/PmWikiIt

Did you modify any pages after making the above changes?  The RecentChanges
pages are themselves just wiki pages that are updated whenever someone
posts a new page.  I added a slightly modified version of the above to
pmichaud.com, edited Development.LanguageIt and it seemed to work:
   http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Main/TuttiICambiaRecenti
   http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/ModificheRecenti

Another, possibly simpler, solution to all of this is may be to leave the
$RecentChanges array alone (so that all updates are still recorded in
$Group.RecentChanges and Main.AllRecentChanges), then create
language-specific titles that do an [[include:...]] of other page.
I.e., create Main.TuttiICambiaRecenti that contains just the line
"[[include:Main.RecentChanges]]", and for each group create a page
Group.ModificheRecenti with the line "[[include:Group.RecentChanges]]".
Otherwise, page changes on multilingual sites will be spread across
several RecentChanges/ModificheRecenti/DerniersModifications/etc.
pages, depending on the language in effect when the pages were modified.

The creation of the per-group pages with the [[include:]] text could
even be easily automated by the i18n-it.php and other i18n files.

Comments?