[pmwiki-devel] Puts pmwiki in a loop

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 2 10:00:20 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:18:40AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've done this several times myself costing my
> several hours debugging, thinking it was something in my code, when it
> was a PTV problem.
>
> It seems it also does this with something like
>
> test: {$:test}

I'm not sure of a good solution for this.  The problem is that
the {$var} markup rule replaces {$:test} with the value of
the $:test ptv from the current page.  In this case, that value is
"{$:test}"... so, we replace {$:test} with itself and then
do the markup rule all over again.

The only "solution" I have so far involves hard-coding checks
for specific PTV patterns as part of returning PTV values...
and I'm not sure that's a good robust answer.

Note that there are other cases that can cause a problem:

    alice: {$:bob}
    bob: {$:alice}