[pmwiki-devel] PmWiki request

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Wed Dec 13 09:40:32 CST 2006

Crisses wrote,
> One way to stop robots from sending you emails is to add a hidden
> field to a form that a spider might fill in (such as "subject" or
> "message") expecting that it's part of the email.

Really?  Does this work?  I assumed robots were clever enough to ignore
hidden fields, so I've never tried it.  What I've done with my email
forms is to look for identical values in multiple fields, since the
robots will often put the same value in each field.

>  Stinks from an accessibility point of view...but...

Really?  I have a blind friend who helps me with accessibility
testing... his screen reader (Jaws for Windows) ignores hidden fields.
If there's a screen reader that reads hidden fields, I'd appreciate
knowing about it!  Thanks!  --Ben