[pmwiki-users] Page with many lines goes blank

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Oct 12 10:25:08 PDT 2021

On 12/10/2021 16:26, Johan Bengtsson wrote:
> We have a strange little problem with a large page in one of our wikis.
> The page in question is 3000+ lines of code long. When adding one more
> line and saving it results in a blank page. Removing the line restores
> the page, it seems the wiki-code is OK, it is just some of the html
> that is not being rendered.
>
> I pasted the code into another wiki with a different skin, that worked.
> It seems it is not the size of the page that is the problem but the
> number of of lines.
>
> The skin in the non-working wiki is "pmwiki-responsive".
>
> The code for the page is simple:
>
> (:notoc:)
>
> ! ChangeLog for SCCM Applications and Programs (CDAv2)
>
>  2021-10-08: Created Application for Dolphin EasyReader 8.0.6.302
> [+ thousands of more lines like the one above]
>
> Any clue to why this is happening?

Is this a preformatted text, it looks like there is a space before the
date?

I have tried this (same line copied up to 83000 times) and it didn't
break on my wiki. Also pmwiki-responsive skin.

I wouldn't suspect this to be related on the skin, but can you
temporarily change the skin on this page and report? Say the older
"pmwiki" skin.

A long time ago there were reports of large texts blanking a page, and
these were fixed in 2007 by adding to pmwiki.php:

   @ini_set('pcre.backtrack_limit', 1000000); # 1 Million

There are a number of reports in the mailing list, most were fixed with
this. You can find them by searching for "backtrack_limit" here:

   https://www.pmwiki.org/search-ml.php?split=v

Some of the reports mention preformatted text, others a conditional
inside the GroupHeader page, always with a long page text.

You may try increasing this to say 10 million, set in config.php:

   @ini_set('pcre.backtrack_limit', 10000000); # 10 Million

If this doesn't help, can you send me the page text? (Possibly in
private.)

What is your PHP version, PmWiki version, and what other recipes do you
have installed?

Petko