[pmwiki-users] New features to be enabled in the PmWiki core

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Sep 8 12:22:03 PDT 2019

On 31/08/2019 21:53, Simon wrote:
> see Core Candidates [1].

Some of these are planned or already committed.

> of those recipes you list I'd very much like to see DDMU,
> Attachtable (the entire kahuna), LocalTimes, PageListMultiTargets

The core (:attachlist:) feature will likely acquire the capabilities to
delete/rename/restore attachments, in a possibly sortable table, but for
the moment any other features of Attachtable are not planned for
inclusion.

You will be able to keep using your existing recipes, as I mentioned
earlier the new core features will be disabled by default and will not
conflict with existing recipes.

> Additionally I use, and would like to see considered for the core
>
> * Cookbook:Wiki footer [2] Website page footer

This already exists in the "pmwiki-responsive" skin which is
pre-selected in sample-config.php. Only it is a single page
Site.SkinElements where you can define both the header and the footer.

BTW the "Amber" skin which was based on "2016/pmwiki-responsive" also
uses a Site.PageElements page with all skin sections. Other skin
developers can do what they need, there is no problem with this.

> * Cookbook:Toggle [3] Adds links or buttons for toggling
> (hiding/showing) div sections and objects

Not at the moment, as it adds new markups, and indeed it is a complex
recipe.

If a Toggle feature is needed in the core, the UnToggle recipe provides
a progressive, unobtrusive way to add the feature while keeping the
content readable for people with JavaScript disabled.

I install this on about half of my wikis, but it is mostly used on a
custom "Site.EditQuickReference" larger, foldable cheat sheet with the
markups people from the specific wiki will probably use.

So, not right now. :-)

> * Cookbook:Rowspan in simple tables [4] Markup to add a rowspan
> attribute on a simple table [5] cell

I've added an implementation of this in Suibversion.

> * Cookbook:New page box plus [6] Adds customisable box plus button
> form for page creation

While this adds a new markup, I am considering implementing such a
feature and supporting it in the core, to keep with the PmWiki
philosophy #5 "Be easy to install, configure, and maintain".

People who do not have the ancient "wiki way" culture may have
difficulties understanding the concept "first create a link to the new
page in an existing page, then click on the link to create the new
page". This is counter-intuitive compared to most of their other
computer-aided writing where they first create a file, draft a number of
versions, and only when it is ready they send it or print it.

So, a kind of "new page form" with an easy markup and obvious
functionality will indeed make it "easy to install, configure, and
maintain" for admins.

> * Cookbook:DeltaBytesRecentChanges [7] Display the number of bytes
> (characters) added or deleted to a page in RecentChanges.

Added today, but see the notes on the styles as some skins may lack
those:

   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChangesShort
   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LayoutVariables#EnableRCDiffBytes

> * Cookbook:Attach links [8] Get Attach: [9] links to display by
> default without the "Attach:" prefix

I assume you don't ask this for all other InterMap links. Yes, it should
be possible to add a switch to remove the prefix.

Petko