[pmwiki-users] Installation Problem

Ron RBelcher3 at Charter.net
Thu Jan 1 20:25:50 CST 2015

XAMPP 5.6.3 is installed and running. XAMPP's Status button says PHP is
"ACTIVATED".

The XAMPP Control Panel v3.2.1 says Apache is running on ports 80, 443.

I would be happy to verify that PHP is running if you can suggest a way
to do it, from either the Firefox browser address line or from a Windows
command window.

I also tried running, on the Firefox address line,
"http://localhost/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.71/pmwiki.php".  That resulted in an
Error 404, "Object not found!".

Also, thank you for the suggestions for shared hosting, but I really
want this running on my target machine.  The installation on my machine
is a practice run.  My intention after I learn how and get it running,
is to run it on our church's office machine for use by our Fellowship.

Any other ideas?

By the Way - I am new to the pmwiki users forum.  I did not see any way
to post a followup to the two replies I received, so I am trying by
forwarding one of them to the email address.  That does not seem to me
like the best way, but maybe it is.  Any instruction you would care to
offer would be most welcome.

Ron

On 01/01/2015 07:41 PM, erik burggraaf wrote:
> Hi, As has already been stated, you need a web server running php in order to test on a local machine.  You can install it all yourself if you want, but unless you are on a very very tight budget, some shared hosting for 2 to 5 dollars a month will save you infinite grief.  If you already have hosting, then you can upload pm wiki to a space on your host without impacting anything that is already there as long as you leave the root pmwiki folder.
>
> Best,
>
> Erik
> On Dec 29, 2014, at 2:48 PM, Ron <RBelcher3 at Charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.71.zip and extracted it to C:\pmwiki\pmwiki-2.2.71.  I then navigated my Firefox browser to that folder (file:///c:/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.71) where I clicked on pmwiki.php.
>>
>> The result was "File not found" and "Firefox can't find the file at /c:/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.71/$pageurl."
>>
>> This was done on a Windows 7 system.  What am I doing wrong?

Are you liberal, conservative, libertarian -- or other? It only takes a
minute to find out! Try the world-famous World's Smallest Political Quiz
online at: www.theadvocates.org/quiz