[pmwiki-users] Internal server error message

Randy Brown randy at brownragfilms.com
Tue Sep 30 21:11:17 CDT 2014

For the past few weeks, all the wikis I've tested have developed an occasional problem: when pmwiki.php is running, the server runs out of virtual memory and is unable to create a child process. I get a "Internal Server Error" message. My web host says that when they accessed one site my account suddenly went from 0 to 100% virtual memory usage.

The problem occurs even on websites that I haven't changed for months. When it's happening to one site, it's happening to the others too.

I've tried adjusting in php.ini the max_memory allowed, both up and down, with no effect.

I get the problem even when I block all IP addresses except for my own.

The only theory I can think of is that some cron job that PmWiki runs in background, such as blocklist, is starting to consume tons of memory for reasons unknown. But I would think that such an issue would affect lots of websites, not just mine, and I haven't seen this problem reported before, so it seems unlikely.

Any theories that might help me track down the cause of this?

Randy