[pmwiki-users] PHP 5.5 compatibility

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Feb 21 10:59:10 CST 2014

Patrick R. Michaud writes:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 05:31:31PM +0100, Petko Yotov wrote:
> > Hans Bracker writes:
> > >I am updating some recipes and cookbook pages:
> > >do you want the category link [[!PHP55]] on all cookbook pages where
> > >the script is PHP5.5 compatible?
>
> > There are two different notions - compatibility and requirement.
> >
> > A recipe "compatibile" with PHP 5.5 will work on PHP 5.5 but
> > probably also on earlier versions - we simply inform the readers
> > that this recipe works with this very particular PHP version which
> > introduced a major change. We add the category [[!PHP55]] to those
> > pages.
>
> I wonder if it's better to have a "Compatible-with:" (or similarly
> named) PageTextVariable here instead of categories.
>
> Somehow having "PHP55" as a category link feels wrong to me...

Yes, especially when sometime in the future they publish the PHP 55.0
version. :-)

> if PHP makes a 5.7 with lots of changes, do we start creating new
> categories for every version of PHP?

Well, in the current setting, this will add a tag [[!PHP57]]. If we
have a  "Compatible-with:" PTV, the line will become

  Compatible-with: PHP 5.5, PHP 5.7

We can change it, better do it now when there are not many recipes tagged.

Petko