[pmwiki-users] Proposed change to pmwiki.php: Markup_e

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Feb 11 02:18:02 CST 2014

Petko Yotov wrote:

>Some brevity is needed to me in order to keep my sanity and to be efficient.

I agree. Although a good text editor makes inserting verbose function
names easy, reading code can be simpler using short names, as long as
the mnemonics are good.

[...]

>>    A program IS NOT communication between a human and the machine.
>>    It’s a communication between a developer and the next developer.
>
>It is also a communication between a developer and himself/herself.

if I look at code *) I wrote a year ago, sometimes there is little
difference between me and "the next developer".

I need my comments where I write _why_ I do/did something.

>> The communication I receive from a function names like "PCCFR" or "XLSDV" or
>> "PZZ" is "you are not worthy of contributing to this codebase until you
>> memorize our secret language [hint: it only _looks_ like PHP]."
>
>I'm willing to better document these functions if the current documentation
>is insufficient.

There is a lot of documentation, but sometimes it's hard to find. For
example, I don't see a clear distinction between
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FunctionList and
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Functions e.g. what should go to
which page.

But, as written in the thread "selling PmWiki..", with PmWiki's code
base, there is a chance to have an overview after a finite time, I
wouldn't try this with WordPress or MediaWiki.

Oliver

*) C for embedded industrial devices, often very low level
--
Oliver Betz, Munich http://oliverbetz.de/