[pmwiki-users] blank line at start of html output

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Apr 27 04:02:27 CDT 2014

John Rankin writes:
> One of Wikipublisher's users (PublishPDF recipe) has reported that a
> couple of other recipes he uses are causing a problem. Specifically,
> includeurl and backup_pmwiki (the backup pages script, I think) cause
> pmwiki to emit a newline at the start of the output. As a result,
> wikipublisher's <?xml ... ?> statement becomes line 2, following an empty
> line 1. This causes wikipublisher's xsltproc transformation to fail,
> because the input is not a valid xml document.
>
> I can see a blank first line in the regular html output too, so it's not
> an artefact of wikipublisher's output.
>
> I am unable to figure out where pmwiki inserts this blank first line and
> how to prevent it. Any help would be appreciated.

PmWiki doesn't insert a blank first line. Such lines are sometimes inserted
by recipe which contain a closing ?> PHP tag followed by a new line. In this
case, the backup_pages.php recipe inserts this new line.

It is recommended to remove the closing ?> tag from all scripts, see:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DesignNotes

Petko